New Futures – Derby
Derby Substance Misuse Aftercare Service
About our service
New Futures Aftercare Service provides support for those individuals who are abstinent from substances, or who are working towards abstinence or controlled substance use.
Our focus is to support individuals to reach their treatment goals, and support reintegration into training and work opportunities.
• High quality aftercare and support services to individuals who have experienced problematic alcohol / drug use
• Abstinence based and non-abstinence based relapse prevention interventions and mutual aid support
• Health education, social training and personal development to service users
We offer two groupwork programmes abstinence-based and non-abstinence. The programmes focus on the kind of life service users might want for themselves in the future, and the skills they need to achieve that life.
The programmes consist of:
• A 10 session group programme focussing broadly on problem solving and coping strategies, understanding the change process, and relapse prevention
• A 10 session group programme focussing broadly on maintaining your recovery, social networks and support, family issues, communication techniques and stress and emotional management.
• A weekly group open for service users to process their own issues with support from their peers.
Homework is given after each structured group – this is to help the service user to practise techniques they have learnt in the group. Learning from this will be explored within individual key support sessions
Each individual will be offered one to one keywork support with trained aftercare workers who can help with all aspects of the recovery process
• A regular programme of activities including computing skills, job search facilities, access to mainstream education courses and interview practice/ techniques
• housing and benefits/debt advice and support via the Citizens advice bureau
• a range of complementary therapies
1. To access our services you need to be aged 18 or over and be a Derby City resident.
2. Have completed or are nearing the end of a structured treatment plan:
• Abstinent leaving rehab / prison and require relapse prevention support
• Wishing to be abstinent who have received treatment or wish to receive abstinence based interventions
• Having entered Derby City structured or non-structured treatment services and wishing to voluntarily engage in aftercare and support
• Who have previously experienced problematic substance use, and now required aftercare support
3. Be committed to following the aftercare programme.
Accessing the service
If the service user is in drug or alcohol treatment, the treatment worker will refer at the appropriate stage, with the service user’s agreement
We operate a confidential service within the framework of our confidentiality policy. Our confidentiality policy will be fully explained to you at assessment.
Tel: 01332 223 930 Fax: 01332 223 931
Our address is:
24-28 St Peter’s Churchyard Derby DE1 1NN